St. Augustine, Florida 32080 (904) 495-0400 office
(904) 495-0506 facsimile
(888) 588-2599 toll free download vcard email JAMES G. WHITEHOUSE Linkedln
*board certified as an expert and specialist in City, county and local government law
Mr. Whitehouse’s practice includes local government law, an area in which he has been certified by the Florida Bar as an expert and specialist, with his practice based in St. Augustine, and St. Augustine Beach FL.
Mr. Whitehouse’s practice also includes general civil litigation, real property and real estate litigation, construction litigation, residential and commercial real estate transactions, contracts and contract law, residential and commercial lease agreements, landlord-tenant issues and litigation, quiet title actions, business sale transactions, confidentiality agreements, probate matters, wills and estate planning.
Mr. Whitehouse has extensive experience working with all participants in the real estate development business and working intimately with the various local governments and their staff. His experience includes serving as the Chief Land Use Attorney for St. Johns County, as the Deputy County Attorney for St. Johns County and as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of St. Augustine.
Mr. Whitehouse has also handled numerous litigation matters, including contested comprehensive planning matters and zoning matters at Administrative Hearings and in the Trial and Appellate Courts, as well as a number of contested matters in the Federal Courts.
- College of the Holy Cross (Worcester, MA) – B.A. 1993
- Nova Southeastern University School of Law (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) – J.D. 1996
- Former Deputy County Attorney and Senior Assistant County Attorney for St. Johns County, Florida
- Former Assistant City Attorney for the City of St. Augustine, Florida
- Former Special Assistant State Attorney in St. Johns County, Florida
- Served as the Chief Land Use Attorney for St. Johns County from 2007 through 2013
- Has worked with landowners and developers in negotiating Comprehensive Plan Amendments, Rezonings, Planned Unit Developments, Development & Concurrency Agreements and Impact Fee Credit Agreements.
- Has reviewed and ensured legal compliance for numerous plats and worked on plat and street vacations.
- Extensive experience with County and City Codes and compliance, vestings and variances thereto.
- Extensive trial experience, including many jury and non-jury trials, as well as mediation and arbitration.
- Has drafted and reviewed hundreds of contracts and various agreements in all subject matter areas.
- Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes and litigation involving all types of claims.
- St. Johns County Bar Association
- Cathedral Parish School – School Board Member
- The Salvation Army of St. Johns County – Advisory Council Member
- St. Gerard Campus (Licensed High School and Maternity Home) – Advisory Board Member
- Ancient City Soccer – Board of Directors Member
- Florida Association of Police Attorneys (FAPA)
- Environmental and Land Use Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Florida Municipal Attorneys’ Association (FMAA)
- Florida Association of County Attorneys (FACA)
- The Florida Bar
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida